Pets play a big role in our lives and they should be loved and cherished. Pet owners are filled with so much joy from all their rendezvous with their adorable pets and even regard them as their 'darling daughter' or 'son'! So do we. This blog is all about our darling little paws; Gabrielle, Isabelle, Hercules, Alexander, Victoria The 2nd,Napoleon, Ms. Constantine, Jerry and the late Sidney, Troy and Victoria The 1st...

Monday, August 21, 2006

Journal of the Palm Garden Babies

The Palm Garden Kitties Journal – First Rescue Attempt

Day 1 - August 14, 2006
Today we were assigned and tested (by GOD) to take the ultimate challenge in raising and nurturing kittens using our bare, human hands.

Three kittens were rescued from Palm Garden Apartments in Bandar Baru Klang. Our colleague Azhari informed us about three abandoned, thus orphaned kittens found nearby the staircase of the apartments.

Observation 2:00pm - The kittens are 2 days old – the umbilical cord were detached by Azhari – thank you. The noisy kittens were placed in our office waiting to be taken home. Amir and I are seriously thinking on how to make sure the kittens survive. The kittens had their first car ride from Palm Gardens to our office in the same town, Bandar Baru Klang.

Observation 5:24pm – Two kittens (black white) and (greenish white) are noisy and active while the black one is a little quiet and inactive.

Observation 6:30pm – The kittens are on their second car ride on the same day. Now, only the greenish white is noisy while the other two slept along the way.

Cleaning 8:00pm – The kittens were cleaned using cotton wet with warm water. They were also simulated to wee wee – these have to be done manually because of the absence of the mother. They were fed with cat’s milk and fell asleep soon after that. We were hoping for Gabby to take part in nurturing the kittens but she seemed not ready to welcome the kittens. She was curious but hissed when near them.

Feeding 11:30pm – Only one (again the greenish white) was awake and making so much noise. We fed her and she dozed off right after. The greenish white kitten started to wake at 12:30am onwards at an interval of 30 minutes, each time wanted to be fed. Surprisingly Troy was the one who first gave attention to the kittens. He licked and played with the kids. In the end Troy’s sleep too were disturbed.


Day 2 – August 15, 2006
A massive headache struck Abah today for not sleeping well. The greenish white kitty demanded attention every 30 minutes last night making so much noise. I bet our neighbors didn’t sleep well too. Troy had been helpful with calming the green white kitty in the early of the morning. At one point he was ‘looking after’ the babies!

Ayah woke up early to prepare today’s meal and fed the kitties. They were again simulated to wee wee by rubbing their genitals with warm wet cotton.

To work 9:15am Another car ride for the poor kittens. We have to bring them along to the office at least for a month as they need to be fed every 3 – 4 hours and it is not safe to leave them unattended at home.

Feeding 11:00am – The kittens were fed and they dozed off to sleep right after. The carrier was placed under Ayah’s table to avoid direct blow of the air cond.

Feeding 3:30pm – The kittens were fed and they dozed off to sleep again. They were very active and crawled all over Abah.

Feeding 6:30pm – Before starting the journey home, Abah fed the kittens so they won’t be hungry in the journey. Another car ride babies! We left right after feeding them and arrived home just giving enough time for us to run some chores; feeding the rest of the cats and cooking dinner.

Feeding 11:00pm – Again the kittens were simulated to wee wee before feeding them again. It’s a tedious job taking care of new born kittens – risky too since they were so small in size. Sometimes I felt clumsy holding them. Once fed, they were put to sleep and today they have to sleep in the hall with the rest of the cats because these kitties made too much noise the night before. See you guys at 3:00 am!


Day 3 – 16 August 2006

Feeding 3:00am – Abah woke up feeling groggy. Started to wonder how in the world could mothers (human mothers) keep doing this (waking up in the middle of the night, babies crying all the time) for months or maybe a year or more! Whatever it is it is my intention to help these kids, and they will have the best attention a human could give.

Feeding 7:00am – Woke up feeling feverish. Decided to take the day off and spend time with my kids and the kitties. Ayah too decided to stay home. Fed the kitties and helped them wee wee again. Saw stool in the carrier where they slept – a bit dark – nothing the colour of mustard like the Internet described them to be.

Feeding 11:00am – We planned to go grocery shopping later on but the babies are our priorities – fed them first before we left. Getting a fresh pack of kitten milk replacer for the kids.

Feeding 4:00pm – We came back from grocery shopping a little late than planned. Straightaway fed the kids. All kittens were as active as ever but since yesterday they would doze off right after feeding them. Part of the routine is to burp them – just like a human baby had to be burped after a meal. (well, read somewhere on the Internet that this is compulsory – although felt foolish burping a little tiny kitten – ended up stroking their back instead)

Feeding & observation 8:00pm till late – I realize that the kitties would consume a bottle full of milk in a day – that’s a satisfying progress, I guess. Always think that I’m doing and trying my best to give the best to these guys. The kittens slept in the hall with the rest of the children again tonight.


Day 4 – 17 August 2006

Feeding 3:00am - Ayah woke up to watch football at 3 so he fed the kittens.

Feeding 7:00am – One of the kittens (the black and white one) looked rather weak. Ayah said all of them were ok when fed at 3:00 this morning. The other two were feeding well and very active. Felt a bit worried because the black and white one really looked weak.

Observation 10:00am – Checked on the babies before going into the office and the black and white kitten wasn’t progressing any better. He was still weak and breathing rather slowly. Oh no! Please don’t die on me.

Feeding 12:00pm – The black and white kitten was gone. By the time I checked on them to feed them, he was out cold. I felt really sad. I prayed that the other two would survive but the white and green (the noisiest on the first nite at home) was now as weak as the black and white was. My God, what have I done – I know that without the first few milks from the mother, without Colostum, as I read on the Internet, these babies would not survive. But only yesterday they were strong. Don’t give up on me kids…

Observation 2:00pm – The white and green kitten was getting weaker and weaker. At 11:00am feeding he did not drink much. The black one looked strong, I hoped for him to survive as he was my favourite. He reminded me of the late Sidney. I whispered into his ears to stay strong and healthy. If I could’t have all three, one would make me very happy. At least when I look at him later on, I will be reminded of this great experience with the Palm Garden Babies.

Feeding: 4:30pm – The white and green kitten was gone too. I felt really sad. It was somehow like I’ve gone through one great failure in life. Now there was only one more kitten left for me to feed. Fed him and really hoped this black one would survive.

Observation 6:00pm – I checked on the black one but unfortunately he had become weak too. My hopes shattered and I didn’t know what else to do. I stayed at the office while Ayah went for his game of futsal. I wrapped him up in cotton to help keep him warm. Still putting a little hope for his survivial.

Feeding 8:00pm – The black one refuse to be fed. He looked really weak. We had to leave to fetch Ayah from the futsal arena.

Home 10:00pm – My favourite black kitten left us forever. I’m really sorry the three of you couldn’t stay long in this world. I am sorry I couldn’t be the one to take care of you like I am taking care of Gabby, Isabelle, Troy and Hercules. I am sorry that you haven’t had the chance even to open your eyes and see the world. I am sorry little Palm Garden Babies. I hope you’re resting well in heaven and like Ayah’s words of comfort – they’re with Sid. I hope Sid takes care of you up there… I really hope so…

Love,
Abah & Ayah

Pictures of the Palm Garden Babies HERE.

0 Comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online